Ilan J. Danan, M.D., M.Sc. is a Sports Neurologist and Pain Management
physician specialized in the management and treatment of neurological
complications of sports-related injury in addition to spine and musculoskeletal
pain using minimally invasive techniques.
Dr. Danan is a consulting neurologist to the Los Angeles Rams, Los Angeles
Galaxy, Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Sparks,
and several local collegiate, and high school programs. He has been a
consulting neurologist to the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles KISS.
Dr. Danan has also performed sideline physician work for a variety of
other professional athletic events including the Annual National Football
League Players Association Collegiate Bowl and the 2015 Special Olympics
World Summer Games, held here in Los Angeles.
Dr. Danan began his studies at Rutgers University – The State University
of New Jersey. From there, he went on to obtain his Master of Science
in Biomedical Sciences from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of
New Jersey before attending medical school at St. George’s University.
He completed his Neurology residency training at New York Medical College,
where he served as Chief Resident during his final year of training. Dr.
Danan went on to subspecialize at Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic as the
Sports Neurology Fellow in 2015. He is a board certified Neurologist by
the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology.
Dr. Danan is an active researcher who has written, published, and presented
in several recent conferences including the American Academy of Neurology,
the AAN Sports Concussion Conference, and the 5th International Consensus
Conference on Concussion in Sport in Berlin, Germany. His passion for
sports and neuroscience has led him to pursue additional clinical interests,
focusing his attention on the role of improving sports performance and
recovery through neurocognitive training.
Dr. Danan is an active member of the American Academy of Neurology, American
Society of Interventional Pain Physicians, American Society of Regional
Anesthesia and Pain Medicine.
Dr. Danan has clinical experience in performing the following:
• Concussion management including academic and sport-specific participation clearance
• Ultrasound-guided injections including BotoxÒ and platelet-rich
• Ultrasound-guided cryotherapy/cryoablation
• Fluoroscopic-guided injections
- Concussion and Post Concussion Syndrome
- Migraine Headaches
- Occipital Neuralgia
- Cervical and Lumbar Pain
- Myofascial Pain Syndrome
- Facet Arthropathy
- Joint Pain/Arthritic Disease
- Piriformis Syndrome
- Thoracic Outlet Syndrome
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome/Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
- Neuropathy/Neuropathic Pain
Recognition & Accolades
- Recipient, American Academy of Neurology 2016 Annual Meeting Fellow Scholarship
- Recipient, American Academy of Neurology 2015Annual Meeting Resident Scholarship
- 2014 Advocacy Class, American Academy of Neurology: Donald M. Palatucci
Advocacy Leadership Forum
- 2016 - Present: American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians
- 2016 - Present: American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine
- 2014 - American Academy of Neurology: Donald M. Palatucci Advocacy Leadership
- 2011 - Present: St. George’s University School of Medicine Alumni
- 2011 - Present: AAN: Sports Neurology Section
- 2010 - Present: American Academy of Neurology (AAN)